With the rising popularity of Invisalign in North America, you must be wondering, “How exactly does this work?” At a dental clinic near you, you might have come across information about Invisalign that claims it is a better alternative to traditional braces for correcting the alignment of teeth. Here we will walk you through everything you need to know about Invisalign before you visit our dental clinic in NE Calgary for this treatment.
What is Invisalign?
Before understanding how Invisalign works, let us first understand what it is. Invisalign is a clear aligner set that works like traditional braces to move misaligned teeth into their correct positions. Misaligned teeth can cause hygiene and aesthetic issues when it comes to oral health. Wearing Invisalign for some time can resolve this issue, bringing back your beautiful smile.
Invisalign is composed of a resilient plastic material called SmartTrack that is specially formulated to provide the ultimate comfort in your mouth. Unlike the metal wires, bands, and brackets that form dental braces, the moulded plastic of Invisalign provides a smooth feel and a discreet look.
The procedure for aligning your teeth through Invisalign involves just a few painless visits to our dentist.
- On your first visit to our clinic providing Invisalign near you, our dentist will assess if the treatment will work for you. Children with baby teeth, and some adults, do not qualify for this treatment. Our dentist is the best judge of this.
- After it is ascertained that this procedure will work for you, the dentist will obtain 3D scans of your mouth using the iTero Element scanner. This is another state-of-the-art technology that generates images to show how your teeth will shift positions over time, giving you an idea of the result.
- Using these scans, our dentist will chalk out a plan for moving your teeth. At every step of a slight improvement in alignment, there will be a separate Invisalign tray.
- Our dentist will then make an impression of your teeth to send to the laboratory where your Invisalign trays will be made. To obtain perfectly customized aligners for you, our dentist might have to go back and forth with the Invisalign laboratory till they are satisfied with the result. The laboratory usually takes 3-4 weeks to prepare your trays and send them to our dentist.
- Finally, our dentist will call you to try out your first set of clear aligners, beginning your journey toward perfectly aligned teeth!
As our dentist in NE Calgary will inform you, you will receive a new set of aligner trays every two weeks, each straighter than the last. As your teeth move closer to their desired positions, the old trays must be replaced with new, tighter ones.
Over a period ranging between six months to one year, depending on your progress, the treatment would have worked.
Once you finish the last Invisalign trays, our dentist will have your retainers ready. Retainers help to hold teeth in their corrected positions, and within a few months, you can change from wearing them full-time to having them on at night while you sleep.
If you are now sure about choosing Invisalign to bring out the beauty of your smile, please get in touch with us for Invisalign in NE Calgary.