- Physical injury
- Bruxism (teeth grinding and clenching)
- Autoimmune diseases
- Dental surgery
There is a common link between stress, anxiety, and TMJ in NE Calgary, AB T3J 0W8. This is because the symptoms of stress tend to manifest themselves in physical ways. As a result, you may experience pain in the facial muscles, neck pain, headaches, spasms, insomnia, jaw aches, and other unsettling symptoms.
If you are experiencing any of the symptoms listed below, you could be suffering from TMJ unknowingly. It is vital that you contact your dentist in NE Calgary immediately to diagnose the problem and to receive the proper treatment required.
- Jaw pain or tenderness
- Temporomandibular joint pain
- Chewing difficulties (it may be painful to chew)
- Facial pain
- Difficulties opening or closing your mouth
- Clicking or popping sounds when you move your jaw
You have multiple treatment options for TMJ available to you at our office in NE Calgary, AB T3J 0W8. Once TMJ is diagnosed, we will provide you with a treatment plan that is specific to your needs. We provide TMJ treatment near you, which can include one or more of the following:
- Medications: There are a few medicines that can alleviate the symptoms of TMJ, including facial swelling and pain.
- Night Guard: Your dentist can prescribe you a custom-made mouth guard. This dental appliance covers your upper and lower teeth while you sleep. We provide night guards near you to act as a protective barrier against teeth grinding. They can also properly position your teeth for a more even bite.
- Dental splints: This also functions the same way a night guard does, however, it is worn during the day and night. A dental splint can ease muscle tension and can stabilize the jaw.